- Fundamentals of Daylight
- Daylight Controls
- Shading Systems for Heat and Glare Management
- Daylight Quality and Distribution
- Interaction of Daylight and Artificial Light
By using examples fundamentals of lighting with daylight will be presented. After understanding the sun’s pathway an application of shading systems to minimize the negative impacts of heat gain and glare will be developed. The concept of a daylight quotient will be introduced and calculated to assist with evaluating the quality of daylight in indoor spaces. Additionally, the relationship between daylight and artificial light will be considered including the effects on energy use and design. Relevant thermodynamic properties of buildings will be covered together with the possibilities for the integration of lighting into building control systems.
- Design a space giving consideration to the influences of daylight and artificial light
- Evaluate lighting designs using the criteria developed considering daylight and artificial light